Here’s a creative reuse craft tutorial for making a flower arrangement from an old high heel shoe.
I wanted a red shoe but couldn’t find one so a can of spray paint helped me colorize a faux alligator skin shoe. You can use this tutorial to make any color floral arrangement. Just change the colors of your shoe and flowers. Note, it is better to cut the stems of the flowers and the wire taller than you need and resize them than to cut them too short.
Here’s what you will need:
A high heel shoe.
Red spray paint
3 large silk focal flowers (I used poppies)
3-4 slightly smaller accent flowers that compliment your main flower colors
1 stem of small filler flowers
1 small stem of artificial grass or fern (optional)
1/2 block of floral foam (the kind for silk floral arrangements)
Thick, white craft glue
Coated wire or thick wire
Floral wire cutters
Round nose plyers
1. Spray your shoe with a light coat of spray paint. Let dry. Add a second coat if you need more coverage
2. Measure three sections of the thick wire to be approx 12″ high. Spray with paint if the wire isn’t already colored. Spray the other side of the wire once the first sides are dry.
3. Using a carton knife or X-acto knife, cut your floral block to fit into the toe section of your shore. It should be approximately 3 – 3 1/2 inches high. Don’t worry that it shows and sticks up. You will cover this with Spanish moss later.
4. Squeeze craft glue into the bottom toe section of your shoe. Add the cut floral block. Cut corners, etc to fit snuggly. Let dry.
5. Cut one of your larger focal flowers (poppies in my case) to approximately 8″ high and the other two approximately 7 1/2″ high. Place the stems in a triangular formation into your floral foam with the tallest being in the back of the floral
block. Bend the floral heads slightly to give them a more natural look.
4. Cut your three to four slightly smaller accent flowers at varying heights so that they are shorter than the main floral flowers. The one closer to the shoe toe should be the shortest , etc.
5. Add your three stems of filler flowers so that the one in the back is two to three inches taller than your largest, tallest focal flower. The next two filler flowers can be staggered in height and spread out to fill in.
6. If you are using the artificial fern or grass, use one section in the back of the shoe.
7. Take your colored wire and curl one end of each into a spiral shape. Put the tallest wire in the foam at the back of the shoe and the other two wire pieces on each side of the shoe for balance.
8. Cut and adjust the heights of your flowers to suit your taste.
9. Squirt some white glue over the top of the floral foam and then spread Spanish moss over it to cover it.
10. Add more glue around the base of the foam if necessary.
This floral arrangement is for sale in my Serendipitini Indiemade Store.
Sign up for Teena’s monthly ezine filled with news on new releases, coupons, sales, tips and more