I carry these pet silhouette ornaments in my Etsy shop. They are designed by silhouette artist Lena Bengston, a friend of mine. Lena, who does people silhouettes, designed the dog ornaments because so many people begged her to do their pets.
When I helped Lena manage her pet ornament business while I was unemployed I realized the concept could be expanded to pet coasters and pet jewelry.
With her permission, I developed my own handmade pet gifts using her images. These include dog necklaces, cat necklaces, horse necklaces and dog coasters, cat coasters, and horse coasters.
I thought I would give a brief explanation of how they are made and how I insert the image into the ornament. You can use these same clear glass ornaments, which you can find at many crafts stores and insert your own designs in them.
Pictured is a Scottish Terrier Ornament.
1) Start with a clear glass ornament.
2) Put 1 tsp of glitter in the ornament. To prevent spillage, you might want to use a funnel. If you plan to insert an acetate sheet like I have, then you want to use metal glitter not the kind that is plastic since the plastic tends to cling to the clear plastic image.
3) The orignals for the images I use were actually handcut by Lena Bengston and then she had a printer scan them and print them on the clear plastic sheets. (Quite expensive.) However, you can come close to duplicating this process on your own computer. Use a design program to create an outlined circle approximately 3″ in diameter and insert your silhouette image into that. You can purchase acetate sheets at office supply stores.
4) Print out your image and let it dry, then cut around the outside of the circle outline. Our cut images have a small point at the top of the image which makes them easier to adjust inside the ornament.
5) Once you are sure your image is dry, carefully roll your image around a pen or pencil.
6) Remove the top of your ornament and insert your image inside. Use tweezers to straighten the image.
6) Put the lid back on. You can add a bow to your ornament. I use a pre-made gold bow and put a small elastic band around it as a hanger.
To get the latest news from Teena Stewart including coupons, sales, new releases and giveaways, be sure and sign up for the Serendipitini ezine.
Sign up here.